For years the Village of Oak Lawn has operated a “SUMMER HELP” program despite running deficits in budgets and a continuing failure to meet revenue expectations.
According to a posting on the village’s website, the program will continue for at least another year despite the fact that critics have claimed that the program is “politicized” with elected officials allegedly providing a list of kids to be chosen every year. Historically, the officials have provided names of residents that they want hired in the program according to sources familiar with the process for the past eight years.
According to the advertisement, the Village of Oak Lawn is providing a temporary full-time employment opportunity to high school and/or college age students of the Village between the ages of 16 and 23, for the summer of 2018.
The following are general guidelines the Village shall follow, according to the advertisement:
● only residents of the Village may qualify to work in the program (Village Administration reserves the right to make exceptions in extenuating circumstances);
● applicants may be required to provide proof of high school/college attendance;
● applicants must be between the ages of 16 and 23 and possess a valid State of Illinois Driver’s License that is free of any moving violations;
● applicants will not be considered if they have previously worked in the Summer Help program for 5 years or more;
● only one applicant per family may work in the Summer Help program at any given time;
● applicants that are chosen to work in the program will be required to volunteer a minimum of 4 hours at a Village sanctioned special event (ex: Easter Egg Hunt, 4th of July Parade, Fall on the Green, Movies on the Green, Pumpkin Fest, Santa on the Green, etc.) Applicants that do not meet the required volunteer hours will not be considered for future Summer Help employment with the Village.
● Village Administration reserves the right to shorten or extend the program dates based on available budgeted funding;
The pay for the positions is $8.25 per hour. Applications are available and completed applications should be returned to the Clerk’s office and are due by April 30, 2018. The Village of Oak Lawn’s Clerk’s office is located at 9446 Raymond Ave, Oak Lawn, IL 60453